Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving to all, near and far,

past the walls, the borders and other manly man built obstacles to keep each other and humanity far apart.   I am living in uncharted waters and deeper the water gets the crazier I am getting. 
Oh Melania what were you thinking?  

                                        

I have been knee deep in pots and deadlines and have tried watching the impeachment hearing and trying to connect the dots but honestly I'm not sure anybody is connecting all the dots at this point.  So as I look down at my table and the 90 mugs and more bowls than I can count, the bunnies start winning.

I watch garden YouTube videos (I am a confessed Monty Don fan girl)  and mentally make notes on all the changes I want to make next year and the cute little bunnies just keep on com'n.  But I have noticed that in all my designs this year there is hint of the cynical.... a fox stalking bunnies, hawks hunting, rats asking for handouts, a bug with pinchers at bottom edge of a plate.  The wren calls out the warning but no one listens, the bees carry on, the bear ambles on and the hawk silently watches above.  The seen and unseen, the surprise that we never see coming, is it too late to escape?   I am loving these but wow do they take a ton of time!  But I love making them and see more stories coming as we are living in perilous times, ya I am listening to Harry Potter again too.  The more I make the less I live in this thing we now call reality or a nightmare.  GIVE ME THE BUNNIES!




It's Thanksgiving and who has time to cook?  The turkey is easy, the rest of the stuff too but I thought I really needed a new countertop space sucker and got an air fryer.  Damn those black Friday pre-sales!  It was $80 and it also dehydrates, convection bakes, air frys and keeps the dog really interested on the far end of counter and not under my feet.  Some people buy shoes, or diamonds; not me I go straight to the kitchen section in every store online or brick and mortar.  Buy me all the TOYS!! (this also includes the studio and garden stores!)  


How bad do I have this kitchen gadget disease?  I made salmon the other night, remember all that salmon I dragged home from Alaska?  I put a vacuum sealed pack of salmon on the counter and went to the studio around 7 am.  Put in 10 hours and rambled in to make dinner.  There it was, sitting on the counter staring at me.  Crap, why didn't I marinate it?  WAIT!  I dragged out the vacuum sealer and plastic container called a magic marinator.  Dumped the salmon into the magic marinator, dumped in all the yummy marinating stuff and plugged it in.  In 30 seconds I had marinated salmon!  Popped it into the air fryer and 15 minutes later I had dinner.  2 hours later I had a clean kitchen....... cleaning all this stuff, argh.  Soooo would I rather cook or clean, depends on the day!  Do they make a kitchen genie and what aisle?

The remains of the Thanksgiving dinner in pieces and parts.  I am so deep in the studio my head is just not in the kitchen too much.  Best turkey ever!  I cooked this bird breast down, butt in the air (for you yoga folks, think downward dog and apply to the turkey. for you garden folks, weeding position #1: head down, butt pointed at the sun); 325F oven.  An hour from done I flip it over and crank the oven up to 425F.  Forget that pop-out timer that comes stuck in the bird, take the internal temperature and when it hits 175F. take it out, toss a foil tent over it and go make mashed potatoes and gravy.  It has to rest and it also keeps cooking.  Potatoes from the garden were delish!  The gravy was made with my canned stock and turkey giblets, garden onions, garlic, celery, sage and parsley.  So good!  


And pie, what is Thanksgiving without pie?  I passed on pumpkin and went for mincement.  I wanted to try that homemade brandied mincemeat I canned up two months ago.  It is strong so I cut a pint with a couple apples.  The crust is made with happy pig, leaf lard and is so tender it could make the pig cry.  It is delish!  And the whole grain bread is pretty good too :) 



The poison ivy is almost gone thanks to my friends Barb and Steve who make Jewelweed Soap and spray!  I usually keep jewelweed frozen in ice cube trays, not this year!  So grateful for thoughtful friends; Mary, Barb and Steve, I am thankful 💖💖💖 
Big thank you to Images in Bloom


We have had Indian Summer too, so thankful.  A patch of summer weather sandwiched between the first freeze and/or snow and the next winter clipper.  It was a delicious 60 degrees and the beach was a place of calm before the storms of November. 


Tonight I am waddling to the studio to finish a few bowls and load one more kiln and there are leftovers for days.  The very best part of this decadent day!  
Happy Thanksgiving everybody across the borders and beyond :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment