Tuesday, February 20, 2024

February ferments.......

 


Ginger beer has been a good way to get through February.


Ginger bug for the ginger beer, Water kefir grains and lemon flavored water kefir ready to drink.  The counters are filling with bubbly bottles.  Every morning while the coffee pot brews, all the bottles are burped to prevent exploding bottles.  

This is my first rodeo with ginger beer and I'm learning a lot!  The longer it sits the more alcohol it makes.  After two weeks the "beer" does not disappoint but I prefer my ginger beer at 3 days aged.  It's pretty easy and pretty delicious!  Better than sauerkraut juice if you're trying to get your daily gut fizzies.  

Gardening has turned into a waiting game of sorts.  The temperature turned cold enough to freeze the rain barrels and all connections (19F this morning but 50F by lunch).  The new roller coaster of winter.  

It's been a tough winter for Kirby as his arthritis has really kicked his hind quarters.  It's kicked mine too as he needs an assist for all steps and car rides.  It's been a back and fourth to the vet to manage pain.  We finally found the magic bullet, Librela.  A once a month injection, no pills.  After blood work and lots of poking, prodding, age assessment, weight assessment etc this was the drug recommended.  I read so much on this new drug and decided to finally go ahead.  It has worked the best on cats and fairly new to canines so there wasn't very much information.  In the past we had tried Galliprant but his liver just couldn't handle that drug. However it was recommended we keep a few on hand if he is having a hard day, it is an anti-inflammatory.  I tried turmeric too but again his liver just couldn't handle it.  After his first injection we were told to wait for any improvement for a month.   

Every trip to the vet also means a trip to the beach.  He just goes into terror, tremors and shaky legs at the vet, breaks my heart and sitting on the floor with him doesn't do anything except give him a place to tuck his head.  When we're done we head to the beach.  It's better than a pup cup and the sand is so much easier for his hind quarters and all trauma floats away.  I am mildly hopeful as we have noticed a difference in 24 hours.  Less panting, less moving around trying to get comfortable, less sleepless nights for both of us. He still needs an assist on the steps but not quite so much.  CBD oil has helped too.  Oh the life of a geriatric pup. But beach time takes many years off and makes him so happy.  So many more trips to the beach this year!  Life is better with dogs...... I think they make us better humans. 


It's been a month of weaving too.  I am teaching a workshop this Saturday for Winter Weave in Willoughby, Ohio.  We are making these small pots in 8 hours.  These ladies better have wicked fast fingers.  I am teaching the last day of the three day weaving packed intensive workshop and hope their fingers aren't seized up.  


Putting kits together for the first time and writing out directions on the process I've been perfecting for so many years has been daunting.  As a maker, my job has been to get from point "A" to "B" and not worry about the little stuff.  Little stuff; how many wire spokes, threads, beads, miles of waxed linen, tools used etc are in each final piece.  You just do it.  For each kit everything is counted out, labeled and packaged.  Who knew there were 288 pieces of thread around each of those little pots or over 100 beads.  The math alone sent to a dark place, something I don't experience when weaving.  I have been making these pots a long time and never counted anything or even my time.  I just knew what I wanted to achieve and got there.  I also never worried about anybody copying these pots because no one in their right mind would ever make these pots but I love making these little pots and big pots too. 

 Ask me on Sunday morning if I would do this again.  I am looking forward to meeting other weavers! 


After Sunday garden life begins and I can't wait!!  Winter weaving will be done and it will be time to move onto the rhythm of seasons, planting, seed sowing and birds singing.  I'm ready! 
















2 comments:

  1. Beach walks work for humans as well..Pirate is better mind and body after one...rivers are second best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the river! I can spend hours getting lost turning over stones and looking for creatures. The beach too! More beach walks for all of us this year. Hoping Pirate is out of the hospital and can to a beach soon.

      Delete