Monday, May 9, 2016

I release you to greater good……… Academia!

As of two weeks ago tomorrow I officially quit my job as a ceramic lab at the local community college. Should I rant now or hold off …… I still can't believe I'm not working there anymore, it's an adjustment, well honestly the "no paycheck" is the adjustment.  All that said: Wow, am I happy to be back in my studio and working for that all around taskmaster, speed demon, I'll sleep when I'm dead and all around bitch; Me! 


I did love the job and my eldest kid said to me when I got the job: "Mom, you have an academic brain, you'll be great!"  Well I might have an academic brain but I sure don't have the political fortitude to play nice with lazy dept. heads.  And so we know how this ends…… the guy with tenure stays and lab tech gets to drive home and vent on her blog.  (and I have not even started yet!) 

Seems with working, the gallery, shows and other stuff that seems to hit the fan weekly there has not been one minute to blog!  But then I found other social media outlets like Instagram and Periscope!  I cannot lie, I am hooked!  No words, just pictures and live streaming from my studio, with no filter or delay on my mouth!  Whoa!  But I miss blogging and in two weeks I have realized how much of my soul I traded for $15 an hour.  Granted, I miss the audit students a bunch!  They were totally great and a reason to go to work.  

I was ready to quit at Christmas but thought I'd hang on a bit longer so I returned from the mountains of Colorado and returned to work.  Then in March I attended my first wood fire workshop, ever.  If you're gonna go big, go to the NCECA pre conference workshop.  Thank you Marcia Selsor for inviting me and putting up with me for a week!  Lori Leary too!  We survived too much testosterone, too much reduction, too much bull shit and as I look back I think this was an excellent warm up for the good times to come.  Older woman who come to participate, are pretty much invisible and ignored and it was frustrating and kind of shocking but alas we survived and are stronger for this experience……. and you gals from Homer, Alaska just rock!  I'd fire with you girls anywhere, anytime!  And that goes double for Marci and Lori! 


Pots from the wood fire and mugs purchased.
Mug#1: Josh DeWeese,  Mug#2 Lorna Meaden, Mug #3 Matt Hylack, 
Shotglass, Lori Leary.  The rest are all mine from the wood fire. 


The universe tests those of the us who question what the hell we are doing.  Turn in keys on Tuesday.  Wednesday, belts break on second wheel.  Thursday, walked out to the kiln, flashing error code 8. Your bottom elements are fried but I guess that is too hard to put into computer code.  Friday get an email; company is coming.  And so it goes……. I'm still fixing the kiln but everything else is fixed.  The house was napalmed for company and the pantry stocked.  


and then I blew the gallery apart because it was time for big changes….. the paint is still flying but the place will look great for Third Fridays! 

and then a jewelry store called and asked if I would do a pop up gallery on a Saturday and I said; Sure! 


and on the family front…..
the one in overalls is driving to Alaska to start her new job as an Asso. Professor at Alaska Pacific University but will be guiding for Alaskan Wilderness Adventures all summer…… Wow, her life just sucks.  LOL! 
Her partner in crime for the last two years is staying in Gunnison to finish her degree at Western Colorado and moving into a new apartment with Neil the cat……. who was last seen under the bed clutching his catnip stuffed mouse and lamenting; not again….. 


and they killed it for Mothers Day ….. 


and that is all I will bore the blog-o-sphere with tonight…… well one other thing.  It's so great to be back at home and in the studio I went for my nightly walk in the cemetery and played hide and seek with a pair of deer!  How cool is that?  Yes, I'm back!  Alert the deer!  Oh yeah and I kayaked two Sundays back!  Sublimely awesome to be paddling again! 

The next blog will have my rant on the dark ages of academia and my opinion on how to fix every damn thing….. and ya it's an election year since I'm on a roll :)  and I am the Dalimama! 

18 comments:

  1. Girl we need coffee, or wine, or ice cream or wine and a talk.
    Push me off this ledge I'm standing on.
    I need to say, I'm done, really I do, so push me hard and rant on.
    Time to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!
    Yes, the income was nice, but you sanity is worth more!
    Keep on ranting! We Ladies of a Certain Age may be invisable, but invisibility has its own reward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could read anything you write, all day long. I think a book is in order! You could make your first million that way. I think it's time I visit you. We could really talk a long time on education! I'd like to see where all the magic happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd like to work for that new tyrant of a boss you have.. maybe I'd get something done around here ... and as another member of the invisible woman set, we'd have a blast ... happy to have you baaaack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, you guys are still here!!

    Meredith, you will never know how much I thought of you, your pottery, the bull shit at your job....... yeah it all stuck! I would read your blog and think there has to be a better way! What were we thinking 30+ years ago when we go into this? buckle up baby because I got nothing to loose by sharing my year and half descent to community college lab tech work 😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzi! I'm running off to catch up and see what you're up too! maybe we need to do an invisible show and rock the world😘. I refuse to be invisible! As Betty Davis says; Nobody Puts Baby On The Shelf! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss "G"! awwww thanks 😊 a book BaHaaaa! not sure I could sit still long enough ! Rachael told to compile all the blog posts and just slap a title on it .....🙄

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenda! well Dubai! that's a fact and after we're done laughing we could save the world before lunch! 😂. now I'm running over to your blog to see what you're up too! How are those chickens chickens?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really sad that the politics with administration is the hardest thing to deal with when working in an educational environment. I can tell you from experience that it's no different at the preschool level than the college level!
    Welcome back to the world of totally being your own boss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made my morning! Thanks, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote a huge response, and hit the wrong button and it is gone... So I will simplify- politics suck, drains energy, and wears us down. We can't win with these things... So good for you to take the healthy step.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see you writing again. Wood fired pots look great! Um, since you'll be on a roll with replacing elements maybe you could come down here and replace mine? Lost a couple before Christmas and while I was having fun replacing them I noticed that the others were looking ominously bad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michèle! oh what a great analogy! Yes preschool and college are pretty close in the administration departments! it's not about the kids and education or even finding the best way to teach something. Ha! being my own boss; totally loving it and totally terrified 😂🤗

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cynthia! Awww thanks! 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey There Barbara Bloom! Hate hitting the wrong button!!! Argh! You bet! I know it feels very right to be back in the studio working again! See you for Third Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Potter Melissa! THANKS, boy I do like woodfiring! Loved the entire process and the pots that turn out! Oh those elements! I usually do the whole set. I figure if I need to do one its just a few firings from all the elements going. The new kiln, Skutt I splurged and got the APM elements. They were a. it more expensive but we had them at school. those two kilns were fired hard and with student work which was heavy and sometimes damp (6 hour preheats). Anyway, those elements had not been changed in 5 years and we're still running true. Only 5 minutes longer than the first time they we're fired! We fired to cone 6. I want to see if I can change out the other kilns elements to the APM elements. Good Luck! Just one of those jobs.......😊

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoop, glad to see you back writing on the old blog! Yep full time work is a stinker, I am wondering what the hell I have gotten myself into more and more each day. Its a challenge fo sho!!
    A girls gotta have a life.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tracey! Hey girl, I'm watching those dumpsters full of store guts and you're fly'n these days! 😂 If ya love it do it! That fine line we walk called balance....... Safe travels 😘😘👊🏻

    ReplyDelete