Friday, April 20, 2018

Time Marches on ...... and on and on.......

Time marches on........ and Spring is hiding.

Since last posting I've taken a seat on Mr Toad's Wild Ride and forgot to buckle up!


Sporadic gardening at best but so much to get done, it's daunting.  Our weather has been set on rinse and spin, rinse again, add snow, repeat.  A crack appears and life is left standing while you run to the garden, drop to your knees and weed like a person possessed before the sky opens up again.  Can't remember a Spring like this for a very long time and hoping the end is near!
After a day of panic gardening the neighborhood; Not My Cat, Rufus showed up.


And did I mention people are down right cranky?  I'm trying hard not leave the compound until I see a daffodil.


 Kirby rides shot gun on our way to Pittsburgh NCECA. 
Time to set up the show at Borelli Edwards Gallery curated by Stephanie Craig!


Our own Todd Leech and Lynne Lofton setting up! 



NCECA has come and gone.  Shows have been set up and broken down.  Great chance to have my pottery battery recharged and getting back to a little excitement in the studio.  I was taken with how little there was on glaze chemistry at this NCECA.  Decals are huge, as is wood firing.  Pots seem to be more decorated and embellished, unless it's wood fired and then drumroll please..... wood fired pots with decals....... and mug prices just keep going up.  I'm not sure I'm up to paying over $100 for mug.... yup, I have heard the argument on the side of the artist for the $100 mug but I'm a potter and the lights need to stay on.  I still make $25 utilitarian, knock around mugs you can take in the garden and put in the dishwasher.  Don't get me wrong I do have a few of those fancy mugs that get used on Sunday morning but my "go to", take to the studio, drive out of the driveway with it on the roof of my car mug, gets used almost everyday.

And I listen to NPR in the studio and heard the grand Mea Culpa of Mark Zuckerberg. Mr Facebook sound shocked at the fallout over Cambridge Analytica.  The more I read the more pissed off I became.  So I downloaded what Facebook had skimmed off my profile over the last 10 years and the final straw was seeing my entire address book in their "information".   WTF Mark?  Do you need honey from my honey lady or eggs from my egg guy up the road?  You have more money than God and you sold out 80 million facebook users information to a shady group in Britain?  I have one vote, and I have buying power and an opinion, that sometimes gets me in a bit of trouble...... BUT I am an advocate for transparency on all levels.  Soooooo I did the unthinkable, I deleted my Facebook account.  I am sure this is having more of an impact on me than Mr Facebook and I am now coming to terms with how this will affect my tiny little business.  I listened to the Congressional panel "grill" Mark and realized Mark was as shocked as I, at just how little Congress knows about cyberspace, advertising dollars etc. and have no hope of any regulation from an impotent government.  I find myself in a constant state of outrage these days....... well unless I'm in the studio and then it's just rainbow poop'n unicorns.  And NPR reported yesterday,  Facebook is making major changes in security and privacy next month........  I'm still on Instagram and Facebook owns Instagram and there is probably a chip in my van following me around and my not so smart, smart phone died yesterday.  Spent an hour on the phone with Raj in distant land far far away and still no phone and right now I am soooooo OK with that!  In a couple months I will be a full fledged hermit with hair growing out of my ears, dandelion puff hair and gnarly bare feet.

AND........ I stumbled back on Craigslist.  My 2006 computer died a while back and after much angst and research decided I could get by with a MacBook Air.  Then I ordered business cards, shooting up a red flag (the colors were way off) and then the show rejection hit list started rolling in and I scratched my head and loaded a bunch of images on my Smart TV (which took me an entire day due to several trips to the  geek store to get compatible pigtails to merge laptop and smart TV as the TV is much smarter than the potter and kept telling how not smart I really am) and I was stunned at how bad my images were!  I started looking around for desk tops and really just can't plunk down well over $1,000 on a desktop computer at the moment..... WAIT!  maybe if I made $100 mugs..........

I spent weeks looking for a computer and then a few days ago I found a fairly new Apple desktop for sale, good price and right up the road.  So in an Ohio, Spring blizzard I drove up the road, kicked the tires and bought it.  Then I downloaded new software to get a new website up and running.  Free fall down the rabbit hole of shopping cart software...... two days of research only to head back to Etsy.  After a day and half I have the "Welcome to S. Miller Pottery" complete.  It might be Christmas before I get this done! 


The learning curve.... new/old  desktop computer, laptop to watch tutorials.... iPad (used to take the picture) and cross watch even more tutorials.  

Then I ran out to the studio and set up the light cube, lights and tripod; taking 188 images of various pots I thought I might want on the website.  If you don't use your camera for a couple years you need to get out the manuals and once again watch a bunch of youtube's on what all those little buttons mean.  My house looks like Michael Cohen's apartment after it was flipped.  And if YouTube is tracking me, it's all about Labrador puppies, gardens, pottery, software, Sony camera functions and cats are jerks.

And I have red lettered on my calendar my first ever home studio sale set for Friday, June 15th and Saturday June 16th.  But as I am no longer on Facebook, not sure if anybody will show up so I will be here drinking iced tea and eating cookies with a dog and not my cat Rufus....... and the chickens will be here by then!

And I had a lovely art day at the Akron Museum of Art seeing the Jun Kaneko show!

 
Amazing!! 


Stay tuned.............



15 comments:

  1. Oh, don't get me started, get off my lawn all you decal woodfired.....whoops! I still sell a good mug for 18.00 and a larger one for 26.00 and they are freaking great to drink from, really. So bring your nose off the ceiling people, it's only clay and people should be able to buy a mug from you and not treat it like it's a visiting diplomat. Don't send me hate mail- I am past caring.
    LOL!
    I hope spring, warm temperatures are heading your way.
    Here's a can of worms... and a can of whoop ass....
    XXXXOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy..and you're getting in the neck, weatherwise.

    fb? I'm leaning back from it gradually. But staying in contact with friends and family around the world..no other way at the minute, and clay buddies and linocut friends have been useful. There is clayart for potters..don't know if there is a printers' forum.
    The way fb is expecting you to pay ( about 10$ to "boost" a post!!) and limiting the spread of what you post and share....I have to update my website and get the pots back on etsy, with the cards,prints and vintage stuff...

    You end up spending most of the time online instead of making.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Big smiles throughout, reading this,
    and an actual LOL (more like GOL = guffaw out lous), here:
    "My house looks like Michael Cohen's apartment after it was flipped."

    Mine looks like that too,
    but it's not technology (not this time), it's sewing supplies--instead of wires it's cotton thread, and strips of fabric instead of sheets of paper.

    I hope your new photos get you into shows!

    Here's to daffodils--up here in MN, it might be a while yet, but I did see some green crocus shoots pushing up through mudddy snow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, the rabbit hole of online sales ... taking photos, editing photos, loading photos and descriptions, keeping track of inventory on and offline, updating the website and so on. After several months of it, I decided it was not worth it. I am now happy with my little spot in a local cooperative gallery, working my couple of shifts a month. However, you work at warp speed, my friend ... if anyone can make a go of it, you can ... 😀
    Spring has sprung here this week. Hoping it stays. ... B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't "seen" you around for a while, clay lady...

      Delete
  5. gz, hello from across the pond! Yes, it's been a Spring or I should say lack of Spring :)

    It was fun catching up with friends on FB but I think I have gained an hour in every day. Ahhhh more time in the studio to make stuff I have no idea where I'll be putting ........... maybe a big hole in the backyard LOL!

    I have a hard time thinking FB is going to self regulate but hope springs eternal .......... and if they do I think I will be back to let local friends know I have a sale or two coming up this year.

    I love your new cards!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou!! I need to print a new batch...in the middle of our wedding preparations!!!!
      I've started picking up sales on my photo and drawings cards as well..at last!!

      Delete
    2. That is awesome and CONGRATULATIONS!! Wonderful news, on all accounts :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Fresca! I see your over at place gutting teddy bears :0 LOL!

    The chiondoxa is finally up and blooming....... love that is also known as the "Glory of Snow" kind of over the glory of snow as it's mid April sheesh!

    Once gardening season starts the house is on it's own and it's shedding season so Michael Cohen might not want to come by for a cigar!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenda send that Spring stuff to Ohio please!! I hear ya! I loaded almost 200 images last night and realized the black cube I had perched all my mugs on had a big old chip in the corner. I was so focused on the pottery I never saw the chip until I loaded all the images on computer and almost died..... I tried mark up, red eye, spray paint and the sure winner......... send it to the kids and see what they think. "Wow Mom these look pretty cheesy" "Seriously Mom you just spent all this money on a computer and can't afford a new little pedestal?" And that is why I will never ask them if I look fat! I went to bed around 3 am and hit the studio again this morning to re- shoot everything.

    I'm thinking I should just start passing this stuff out on the street corner........ ya, for sure, website by Christmas. LOL! If I had a co-op I would go there but living in Mayberry RFD I'm not sure anyone even knows what a co-op is around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just removed word verification......... after the fifth try of trying to comment on my own blog ....... well crankies! and I am cranky enough already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since you're not on Facebook- Happy Anniversary!
    I have done the same thing with taking photos, having once taken a batch of photos, only to notice much later that the background paper was badly scratched. I was able to spot fix, but was amazed I didn't notice anything but the pottery at the time I was photographing.
    I hope the snow is over for your home studio sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa! this slipped past me, apologies!!! Thank you so much! We had a nice dinner out.
      Light snow this Sunday morning and hoping it's the last gasp for winter! Finally working out all the photo stuff...... phew that only took two weeks LOL! You photos always look so great and professional too! Soooooo ready for Spring!!

      Delete
  10. I love your new pictures! Everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete