Sunday, August 12, 2018

Lessons from the garden ....... or not!

Still no rain here at happy acres..... it's all around us and indeed some places are underwater but not on this little half acre.  The tomatoes are dusty!  The deer have tromped through the garden pretty well and looks like the snap dragons are pretty comfy and bed of choice.  The echinacea is flat but still putting on a good show.  Note to self, you may be down but keep those petals perky!  
The humidity is just stupid this year, can we get an Amen for greenhouse gasses warming the globe.  OK this just bakes my potato; the island of Tangier in Chesapeake Bay is disappearing, don't believe me, here ya go: The New Yorker.  And all we can talk about is golfing at Maralargo and entertaining Putin.  My next blog will be in Russian........  Wait back to the garden and not the scorched earth policy currently floating around D.C.  

In my humble opinion I think everybody should plant a couple beans.  Stick them in a flower pot or the edge of the flower bed.  Beans just blow my mind as they have a 120:1 ratio.  Did you read that?  One bean plant will give you 120 beans!  They don't take up much room and they grow no matter what!  How can you not love that?  Be resilient!  Seeds in general just blow my mind!  Think about one zucchini seed.  One seed will give you 8-10 pounds of food and one ounce is about 250 seeds.  There are 18,200,000 hits on google for zucchini recipes!  Can we talk about carrots?  I toss carrots in everything and can't imagine life without carrots.  
One ounce of carrots will get you 18,500 seeds! 😲  
A 100 foot row will need .5 ounce of seed.  10 feet of carrots yields approximately 8 pounds of carrots so a 100 foot row will give you 80 pounds of carrots.  Do you need a frilly border in your flower beds?  Carrots or parsley or lettuce?  And don't get me started on potatoes because they are just amazing!  I tuck those in the ground everywhere!  And then you get dinner! 
I bought the corn from the local farmer.  Current price in this part of Ohio; $6 per dozen. 


All the extra you can't eat immediately goes in the fruit cellar.


A very small row of green beans has yielded 22 jars of dilly beans. 


another gallon of refrigerator pickles too.....  that's 2 gallons of pickles from two cucumber plants! 
Oh and 12 small jars of pickle relish in the fruit cellar!  Two plants! 



I planted 4 varieties of beans this year and learned so much!!  So far, Tender Greens are winning for sheer taste and abundance.  I also planted Triomphe de Farcy....... because I really like saying the name and they were ready for harvest in 48 days and the magic garden word; "heirloom".  Heirloom is not always a good thing as they are pretty stringy, not very sweet and if picked one day late tough and chewy.  These abundant producers have been left to dry on the stalks and will be used for dry beans.  Then I planted Kentucky Wonder beans, because I needed to know what made them so wonderful.  I believe these are the magic beans Jack in the Bean Stalk planted, they are trying to grow to the moon and have overshoot the 8 foot fence!  Not crazy about the taste, kind of tough, a magnet for Japanese Beetles but provide excellent screening from the neighbor. These too will be left to dry on the trellis for winter dry beans.  Then I planted Scarlet Runner beans.  Yet another bean you might ask........ I plant these for butterflies and hummingbirds period. Oh and screening of course, they are climbers but not as aggressive as the space traveler, Kentucky Wonder Beans. The dry beans are things of beauty!  And they are super tasty! 


The Monarch, Swallowtail, Admirals and hummingbirds just love the red tubular blossoms.


Favorite morning activity; sit on the patio with hot coffee and watch the garden.  Favorite dinner activity; sit on the patio with a dinner plate and watch the garden.  Last week while leaning back on my chair after a great evening meal we had hummingbird wars in the garden.  I know they are territorial but did not know they are ruthless!  A swallowtail was busy on the Buddleia when out of nowhere BAM!  Stabbed in the back by the pointy beak of a hummingbird! I have been gardening a very long time and been in and around gardens all my life and I have never ever seen this happen! 
I ran over and scooped up the swallowtail, still alive sort of, placed it on a flower and it fell to earth quite dead.  Tonight, Nature just sucked!  Ninja hummingbird, the swallowtail never saw it coming! 

I was so upset I baked cookies ....... 


These are really good although a bit too sweet for me.  But it's a great recipe and good starting place to start tweaking.  I did replace 3/4 cup of flour with oat bran and wheat germ.  Now to cut back the sugar, way back!  But they are a good chewy cookie. 

 

And I spent a couple days taking pictures of work in the studio.  The pots going on Etsy got a lovely display of tomatoes or peaches.  I have never put food in my pictures before but I think I like it!  
And I sold a bowl!  




And on Saturday there was time to fire up the raku kilns in the early morning dew.


Now to get busy waxing and weaving!  Tomato canning starts this week too.  Summer is flying by and I'm OK with that but sooooo many lessons from this little half acre!  And there is magic on this little half acre because as the world seems to be wildly spinning out of control and there is the continuing hopeless feeling of not being able to stop it.  Taking an early morning walk through my garden which is like the United Nations of pests with Japanese Beetles, Mexican Bean Beetles, Colorado Potato beetles, the American cucumber beetle and coming on strong the Chinese stink bugs.  I hand pick all these and deposit in a glass jar with Dawn dish liquid and water.  I inspect each yellow blossom, cucumbers and squash looking for cucumber beetles.  Each morning as the giant squash blossoms begin to open I find a sleeping bee.  Good Morning my little pollinator!  They wake up very slowly and are covered in pollen.  They have slept all night kept dry and wrapped in the gentle protection of the squash blossom and the fee for a bed....... free pollination! 


A lovely symbiotic relationship and I'm in love with this Nature thing again but still on the fence over those bastard hummingbirds. 






8 comments:

  1. That bee...so sweet! Those hummingbirds are tiny but deadly! What a trama you had to witness. Congratulations on the successful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew the garden could be so fraught with danger! Just tonight walking in from the studio I watched a small wasp sting and kill a spider......... forget Happy Acres this has turning into the Killing Fields! Sheesh...... Happy caterpillars Meredith :)

      Delete
  2. People who think nature is sweetness and joy have never paid much attention. It's bloody murder out there!
    "Dolphins are such peaceful loving creatures"--unless you're a fish!

    Your statistics about vegetables have inspired me too--the other side of nature:
    It's outrageous bounteousness.

    So... due to you, next year I am going to plant one bean in a pot on my little porch.
    My big problem is squirrels.
    They are so clever--they wait until vegetables are perfectly young and tender and --snip with their teeth--off they go.

    But I love the squirrels---they are so acrobatic and inventive.
    Like us, a "weed species"--we can exist almost anywhere.
    Squirrels will probably evolve so they even survive the coming climate disaster(s)!
    (What a short-sighted species we are...)

    A good chewy cookie--yum! When it cools off a bit, I may try those...
    I'm a big fan of sugar, but even I usually cut the sugar in baked goods.

    That jar of refrigerator pickles is a thing of beauty.

    And the small tomatoes with your green pottery dish: GORGEOUS!!!

    I like how people on Etsy tend to do a little ...what's the word? stage-setting for their objects.
    Not so on ebay. But sometimes I do a bit of it anyway because it's fun.
    PEACHES!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fresca!! No kidding on this nature thing! I walked in from the studio this afternoon and watched a very small wasp kill a spider. I bent over and poked the spider and he rolled over, the wasp moved to the side and after I passed retrieved it's bounty, bigger than the wasp!

      I say go big and plant two bean plants!! Soooo climbers or bush beans??? Inquiring minds need to know these things :) Have you googled squirrel launchers? I contemplated building one before I put the electric fence up. They are kind of amazing little rodents and quite busy although I do curse them for burying butternuts and walnuts though out my gardens. Agree they will survive and prosper long after we are gone.

      I'm going to keep fiddling with that cookie recipe because I do love the oats and coconut combo, maybe a toss in some chopped nuts from the freezer.

      Thanks on the pickles!! Wow are those good too!! Wish you were closer you could bring a jar over and fill it up!

      Ooooo thanks on the tomato dish...... ya, deciding it might help people understand the scale of pieces too.

      Peach season is just kicking off here and I can't wait!!

      Thanks for all the feedback, much enjoyed!!

      Delete
  3. Again you amaze me, Sandy, with all you do! ... I get exhausted just reading :))) ... Love that you've combined the pots and the garden in your pics!

    Rick's garden is doing pretty good, altho' its been very dry here ... we haven't had any precip for weeks on end so he has to hand water every day (community water system rules). He redid our back deck, just off the new chicken run (they are back under house arrest after two years of be allowed to decimate our backyard). Its fun to sit out there at the end of the day and watch 'chicken tv'

    ... happying gardening and potting, my friend! .. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRENDA!! Argh I thought for sure you would be past the dry summers especially after last summer! I feel like all I do is haul the hose around trying to keep stuff alive this summer. Hand watering .... yikes! It's taken me so long to wrangle this yard back to Happy Acres the chickens got shoved to the back burner but next Spring we will be watching the chicken channel too, kind miss those fluffy butts! Hoping for rain soon, just a bit of relief would be great!! Stay centered LOL!!

      Delete
  4. I love your sweet description of waking the sleeping bee. We having hummingbirds close to the house and we enjoy watching their antics from the slider in the den. We call them our summer pets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love having pets like that ........ not too much work and no litter box. I do love watching the hummingbirds, Garden drones.!! We only get the ruby thoated up here but worth the watch!

    ReplyDelete