Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Jack Frost is alive and well!

This is what October is supposed to look like! 


But alas this is what is looked like this morning! 

I hit the back door at dark-thirty this morning, on a run to let the chickens out as I had closed the coop tight, tight, tight, last night.  No more free wheel'n chickens.  I heard and felt the crunch under my feet when I hit the lawn..... is that frozen dog poop under my new blue crocs?  The stealth pooper has been at it again;  abort mission and dash over to the truck, scraping my finger nail over the window and my shoe on a rock.  
FROST!  
 Heavy enough my finger never hit the glass.  This was not supposed to happen last night.  Frost warnings were up and posted the night before but we got noth'n.  I happy danced yesterday morning and kissed my tomatoes.  So happy we lived close to the lake.
 Last night was supposed to be warmer, in fact much warmer.  I hate weather people....... they lie more than politicians!  I hear the weather guy over my shoulder as I type..... 45 degrees and the sun is coming up.  I look out my window; cloudy and frosty.  How much do they pay you, because I believe I've got change coming!



The chickens were not moving very fast this morning.  They tumbled down the gang plank, each waiting her turn.  Quiet chicken noises to start the day, love that!  I beat a hasty retreat to the house, abandoning my shoes at the edge of the patio and praying the coffee would be done.  
Hot coffee in hand, wool socks on bare cold feet, time to weave.......


Today; pots to trim, pots to weave, chicken coop to clean as rain starts tomorrow (hope that's a fairytale too!).  Recover any and all tomatoes, ripping the vines out and feeding the chickens all the leftover maters.  Compost pile is going to get a workout today....... and the gardener! 



Last night's dinner........  Stuffed Sugar Pumpkins!  
Here's the recipe......... 

1 part rice (cooked in chicken broth)
1 part black beans
1 part fresh corn kernels off the cob
1 part happy pig sausage sauté
 3 shallots sauté with sausage
 2 eggs
 1/2 cup 2% milk
2 teaspoons, 21 Seasonings Salute, trader joe's
 A good handful trader joe's Quattro Formaggio (Parmesan, asiago, fontina and mild provolone)

 Tossed it in bowl, mix. Stuff the pumpkins. Bake in a bain marie, (otherwise known as a pan of water, God I miss Julia) in a 400 degree oven for an hour or so depending on the size of your pumpkins

I served this with homemade chili sauce and it was delicious!   Oh and it tastes better on handmade plates thrown by your local potter    :) 

Next time I think I will try quiche' in a pumpkin or maybe chorizo sausage instead of breakfast sausage and salsa on the side.  My head could explode with all the combinations!










2 comments:

  1. As I read about your dinner, I'm eating my oatmeal. What a delicious meal. I want to try it. Also pretty plates, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I waited this long to eat stuffed pumpkins!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete