Tuesday, October 30, 2012

We are still here.........

No sleep and a long night but the wood stove was stoked and we only lost power on and off.  There were 67 mph winds clocked but it was the rain that just kept coming.  


The Grand River at the bottom of the hill is over her banks.  
It has been bone dry most of the summer with the drought.  

Harbor 220 in Grand River.  Butch pulled his boat out on Saturday.  Others were hoping to pull out after the storm.  The river is supposed to crest another 2 feet by midnight ......... and it's still raining.
I hope these boats make it out.  




Lake Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes; white caps if you sneeze!  
But this was a good Nor'easter in all her glory.  


And some rode out the storm in warm comfort......... 

Protection at it's finest! 


Everybody made it through warm, dry although a bit cranky! 

Radishes didn't wash away and look quite good! 

I left this empty bucket out on Friday morning.  It's almost full...... 
and did I say it's still raining...... 

Hoping everyone is back on their feet as soon as possible.   

I am finding it very hard to pack for Rochester and leave for 4 days.  My bank account needs me to go but I really wonder how many will be in the mood to buy work at a high end art show with so many digging out.  I am feeling the need to nest big time, hunker down, head to the studio.  Not get in my truck, dragging a trailer and head over hill and dale 5 hours away.   After the last few days I am so happy to be home with a fire crackling and coffee pot at arms length.  







6 comments:

  1. So glad you made it through ok! All that water is an amazing sight to those of us who live in the mountains/desert. We get flooding on occasion, but NEVER like that, since we are far from the oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timeless has left a new comment on your post "We are still here.........":

    I'd stay home. Of course if you've committed. I'd be making some phone calls first. Naturally I don't know your area, but I do know what it's like to get burned with so much uncertainty.

    I would have thought you would have gotten some kind of Lake Effect Snow.



    Posted by Timeless to Paine Falls.......... at October 30, 2012 3:32 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timeless! So sorry my hobbit hands deleted the post so I cut and pasted it back up! Hope that is ok ! Again apologies!

    We are still getting heavy ran. Making phone calls in the morning. The tv has been covering the devastation nonstop. I just don't think this is the time to sell pots at show many miles away....... Completely agree.

    Snow went south this storm. We are in snow belt, also the rust belt and corn belt...... We get belted quite a bit here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, thanks so much for checking in! Our daughter is in Fort Collins and it is dry, dry, dry. When she told me it was illegal to collect rain water I was flabbergasted. When she told me she was going to have a garden this year I couldn't wrap my brain around how a lush veggie garden would work for her. The dirt was so different then toss in arid conditions. But what do I know...... She has butternut squash squirreled away under bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I backed out of a show earlier this month with a gut feeling that it would be a waste of time due to weather. I was right, friends that attended said it was terrible. Go with your instincts! I nested with my family that day and don't regret a moment of the warm soup and movie day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracey, I'm so with you on this one. Nesting, warm soup and a movie sound much better than a 5 hour drive in the middle odd the night...... :)

    ReplyDelete