This morning I sat in a chair in the new room and watched the sun come up with a hot cup of coffee! Body ached a bit but the shear joy of DIY satisfaction is something to bask in, even if for 10 minutes.
9 days ago this is where it began.......
Been a whirlwind of patching, painting, floor laying, mortaring etc. but I made it before Christmas!
Saturday we braved the crowds and headed out to do a bit of Christmas shopping and look for a new rug. While Christmas shopping at Tar-get' Saturday night I wandered into the furniture section and found a new tv stand. Glass doors, pretty sturdy, price was right and on sale so I tossed it in the cart.
Sunday morning up at the crack of dawn; drill, screwdrivers, hammer and directions in hand I sat on the floor. Scattered around me; at least a billion nuts and bolts and various odd shaped pieces of wood. After an hour and half I had a TV stand that looked remarkably like the one on display! AND I did not need the extra parts included in the box!
Dragged it out to the new room, moved the old stand away from the freshly painted walls. Met with miles and miles of cables I scratched my head and wondered where to start? Can I disconnect satellite hook up, WiFi, DVD, computers, printers, adding machines, disc burners and get them to work again? I grabbed my tape and Sharpie markers; red, blue and black and set to disconnecting and tagging everything. Learned this from wiring kilns over the years! Finally getting every last wire disconnected I lugged the old stand out to the patio. Pulled up the new stand only to find the box for said satellite hook up does not fit in the new stand. Out to the studio to look for my hole cutting kit; there it was under the wedging table! Cut holes through the back of the new stand :( Each hole correlated with a plug being shoved through the back. It gave me the extra 2" so I could shut the doors! Happy Dance, high five the dog and back on my knees connecting everything. Color coordinated zip ties for the extra cable and I stood back and pressed the "power on" button. Everything worked!!!! First try!! I was high fiv-ing the wall I was so excited. Moved under my desk and did my office cables! Again powered up and it worked. Happy Dancing again! Ok so it took me until 2 p.m. to get this done but I did it and I did it alone, proving once again....... chicks with tools rule!
I can see the top of my desk again! and the wires are gone and everything works!!
A fine place to watch the sun come up over the chicken coop.
The budget for this room was $1,000. I sort of blew it and went over by $276. The floor was the biggest expense, but worth every penny. Still need to get pedestals up, pots displayed, floating shelves up, tools back on my weaving table, fishing rod holder back on the wall, glass window in, stones thin set back in the steps, bench by the back door, order canvas duck slip covers for those chairs and other small things but in 9 days the really big stuff is done and I will enjoy Christmas morning watching the sun come up while dinner cooks in the kitchen.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!! To all who read these tales from Paine Falls, have wonderful holidays of peace and above all joy.