Wednesday, January 26, 2022

The Gift that just keeps giving.......January

 

After coming off the colonoscopy fun I thought I was home free.  Dragged out the garden plot, seed catalogs, seed inventory list, also big plans in the studio, garden plants on the hit list and on and on.  Amazing what a clean bill of health will do for future plans.  All in all things were looking up!

 The day after the "procedure" I was pretty wiped out.  On Wednesday I sat down to take notes on starting microgreens in the studio via YouTube and promptly fell asleep.  Woke up with my hip and knee at weird angle, tried to get up and limped to the kitchen for coffee.  Dammit, now what?!  Hobbled around for a day and called the chiropractor because I have stuff to do!  She had a cancellation, could I be there in 45 minutes?  Vroom...... adjusted, leg and hip were better and went to work in the studio.  
Thursday, back too limping and decided to hop on the bike.  My bike fixes just about everything, it's my "go to" when my body is flailing around.  Friday morning back on the bike, watched BBC gardening shows and back out to the studio to finish up an order.  3pm ran in the house to shower and change for an opening in Cleveland.  Van was loaded with boxes and wrapping paper for people to pick up their purchases.  Hit the steps and see old Kirby tossed his kibble on the landing.  Ack! 



Had a cup of hot coffee with me so when I hit the landing I pivoted to run back down and pick up a bucket and towels to clean up the mess.  
The last thing thing I saw before I heard the crack....


My knee and leg buckled after the crack, hot coffee doused the wall and I slid through the semi-digested kibble as I careened down the a flight of stairs.  I laid at the bottom, scalded, slimed and doing a body check.  Ahhhhh my annual bone density test.  Didn't feel like anything was broken but my knee was screaming and what was that crack before I feel?  It woke the dog up because now he was standing over me, CPR? Wanna play, got anything to eat?  For the first time in my life I had my phone in my pocket!  Called Mr Potter and no answer, left a message.  5 minutes went by and I called again, left another message.  OK it's you and me Kirbs.... but Kirby had already returned to the second floor and was napping, not Lassie and Timmy really is in the well! 

Got to my butt on the first step and onto to my feet.  Holy ouch!  Called the gallery, not coming, apologies.  Finally Mr Potter called, he just got the message and he was heading home or should he call emergency.  Nope I am OK!  Besides who has time to wait 4-8 hours just to be seen by a Dr at ER.  
this could be me.....


So the weekend was a figuring out of what I could and couldn't do.  I made it back to the studio as my upper body was still intact; trimmed a bunch of pots and carved a bunch of pots.  Thankful I didn't have kick wheel..... although I might have yelled Klopfenstein when I was in free fall.

an original  Klopfenstein kick wheel made in Mansfield Ohio long ago......


By Monday I had enough limping around and pretty sick and tired of the whole incident.  Also by Monday I realized my other knee was a mess, my back wasn't the best and I had more blooming bruises than I could count.  So I hopped on the bike.  If it hurt I could bail and wait to see the Orthopedic Dr, who wasn't available until Friday, seven days away.   I have bike shoes, you are clamped onto the pedal so you and the bike are "ONE".  I grew up on a bike and really can't ride a bike without them, my feet fly off the pedals.  So off I pedaled while touring English gardens with Carol Klein on youtube.  After 40 minutes it felt pretty good; until I had to twist my foot off the pedal to release the damn shoe.  Stuck again.  I sat there for minutes and just started laughing because stick a fork me I am so done.  Finally bent down unvelcro-ed the shoe, eased my foot out and got off the bike.  Ok, no twisting, pivoting or jumping up and down.  
Back to youtube to see if anybody posted any videos on knee pain.  To my absolute amazement the amount of content on knee pain was mind numbing!  Some are from crazy people but then I found the "Sports Injury Physio" channel, an online group of sports physiotherapists providing researched based advice for injury.  While I rode my bike I got an anatomy lesson on the knee joint and all the things that can happen, how and why.  Really great information and explained why I could ride the bike but not kick my shoes off.  Also perfect to get me to Fridays appointment with the orthopedist.  Sounds like I tore a meniscus but that is just my uneducated youtube guess.  During the pandemic so many sports therapy groups turned to YouTube because offices were shut down and facilities.  They have come up with some pretty inventive ways to keep you in physiotherapy while on lock down! 

Kind of over January and hoping February will be a bit kinder and gentler.  Just heard we can now get N95 masks free, myself I will looking for the pedestrian airbag! 
Living large for Valentine's Day and my fingers are crossed for Friday as they are one of the body parts still working. 



6 comments:

  1. Yours truly has had a torn meniscus (actually several of them) for a few years. Lateral movement is pretty bad. I've been doing exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee. So far, not too bad. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No! Had one on the other knee many years ago and opted for the surgery. Don't think I would do it again unless its a darn bucket tear and then all bets are off!

      Delete
  2. Oh my ... those falls! ... so scary these days ... I've had 2 in past 2 months ... the first, a literal face plant on the road (lace loop from one boot caught on the metal lace clasp on the second boot ... feet stopped the rest of me kept going 🥴), with puppers dancing around going 'whaddya do, whaddya do', I surveyed the damage (fairly extensive) and limped on home. Then, a couple of weeks ago, while heading off in the dark for a pups around the block walk, my headlamp popped off and rolled into the ditch. While crouching down and reaching faaaar down to retrieve it, my knee decided it didn't like that and over I went, doing a slow mo roll into said ditch. Still hobbling from that one. So yeah ... not fun at all!

    Heal well my friend ... I hope things are on the upswing from here on ... 👐 ... B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jeeze Brenda!!! I just don't bounce like I used to. Not sure I ever bounced but I think I healed a lot faster. Maybe we need service dogs LOL!

      Delete
  3. You do need a pedestrian airbag!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy dear Sandy ! Good luck with the prognosis.
    Sending good wishes your way…..
    V

    ReplyDelete