Saturday, January 29, 2022

Where are we going and how do we get there?

 


On a snowy, cold, icy Friday morning, I made it down to see Dr. Mike.  The parking lot was covered in ice and snow and thought wow here is some job security for all the orthopedic guys in this building.  Every single handicapped space was taken and I watched seriously hobbled folks trying to maneuver across the parking lot, which is also on an incline.  Go with God tottering people of the impaired.  I quickly realized it was busy season due to skiing accidents, icy sidewalks and general mayhem.  People Yak Trax are your savior, delivering you from the crash and burn of this treacherous parking lot.  Unless you're a skier and then all bets are off!

Filled out obligatory paperwork, filed insurance card, and waited.

  

10 points because I was seen 10 minutes early and once in the room, very short wait, did an in depth interview with his assistant. She is on my plus list as she has chickens.  It's not a very high bar to get on my plus list but chickens will take you to the top of the list pretty quick.  

She said wait right here, returned with the dreaded paper shorts.  Struggled to get off the boots, the jeans, long johns, coat, over coat, and other layers and the lovely Tiffany Blue paper shorts on.  I marveled at the mound of insulation as I leaned against the table.  A knock at the door and a jovial guy in a mask entered and said; We are off to X-ray.  They do everything in house. Yay! But honestly, walking around the halls waving at people in blue paper shorts is not on my bucket list!  Pictures of both knees and walked back to the "room" smiling and waving and wanting to die.  Thought oh this is gonna be awhile because they need to develop the x-rays.  That is how long it's been since I had an x-ray!   Dr Mike was in the door in under 5 minutes and the x-rays were already loaded on his computer.  Awesome, because my mind tends to go down a very dark tunnel if there is much waiting involved.  
No breaks but torn meniscus.  Then he showed me the other knee.  Pain?  Sometimes.  Really?  Your right knee is bone on bone where there should be a the lateral meniscus.  Oh well that is the one they worked on in 2014 and I'm not thrilled with how that turned out so I would like to avoid surgery at all cost on this leg.  Back to the injured knee. Poking, prodding, no pain, to scrap me off the ceiling pain and do not touch that again! 
So torn meniscus and a hyper extended hamstring on the back of the knee that sends me to the moon if you touch it!  We agree to no surgery and instead physical therapy and something called dry needling.  And doesn't that sound like ball of fun?  
Turns out the bike is the best thing I could do for this injury and I can still keep spinning.  Although instead of all at once; 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening.  I will be touring English gardens for an hour a day on YouTube.  Gave me a bunch of exercises to do twice a day and after two days this now feels like a full time job.  



And for a person who hates leaving this compound I will now be traveling to physical therapy twice a week for a month and then we will re-access and see where we go.  
I'll wave be waving....... 



 

8 comments:

  1. 👋
    At least you get time on the bike!
    Having the car park of that department on a slope...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of bone spurs I’m pretty sure I’ll have bum spurs…..☺️ Will never complain about time on the bike! Argh that parking lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toes crossed that the therapy works for you.
    Many years ago when I tore my meniscus I opted for physical therapy and a steroid shot.I though if it didn't work surgery was an option. It worked very well. Other knee not so great. I have been using a cane lately. We are totally snowed in so we won't be going anywhere. Will put on boots later and go poke around in the snow to try to find the blown away snow shovels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi! Yes, fingers and toes are crossed, going to be an interesting month but so ready to move on from hobbling. We have a bit over two feet of snow but happy there is a good path to the studio and chicken coop. Headed out to finish cleaning the pugmill out and glad I can sit and work! Stay warm and looks like you're getting a blast of snow this weekend!!

      Delete
  4. I wonder if 'dry needling' is similar/same as IMS treatment ... a deep muscle tissue acupuncture type procedure. I know a couple of people for whom that has worked well. All the best with PT! ... b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From every thing I’ve read they do sound like one and the same. But you know I’m asking tomorrow. For today, I’ll keep my head busy cleaning the pug mill LOL! I’m such a chicken!

      Delete
    2. .... and that is why I have never bought a pug mill ... cleaning the extruder is enough for me ... however I've just got word, my most expensive purchase in several years, is on its way ... a Bailey tabletop Mighty Might II slab roller ... can't wait! ... I've been working on a design for ceramic mason bee houses using a doorskin mold process and having a slab roller will be amazing! ... B

      Delete
    3. And don’t you know got the whole darn thing together, putting the handle on, dropped the last *#!*** screw in the hopper and had to take it apart to get the screw! Oh Brenda, bought a slab roller, a rather large Bailey, had to have it for all the flat stuff I was going to make. Learned I don’t even think flat! Use it every once in while but kind of an expensive crap stacker. 🤣 all in all I think the pugmill sort of saved my wrists after all these years. Roll on!

      Delete